How Well Do I Set A Scene (Spoiler Alert, not that well..)

This post is going to be more of a peek at an exercise that I do with myself than an actual snippet from a story. Every once in awhile, I challenge myself to paint a scene usually based off an actual picture that I've seen, but also from the images in my head. I'm always wondering if I'm actually able to describe anything. :) So, while these aren't scenes that have been claimed by stories as of yet, they are a glimpse at my style...so to speak.



Looking out over the peaks, that rose as spontaneously as waves in the sea, I watched the light sweep into the dark corners. It billowed like a curtain, rippleing into the nooks and crannies of the mighty mountains. Though the brooding clouds sought to conceal and manipulate its beauty the darkness only seemed to enrich the natural splendor of the hills.

The ocean lapped at my toes then engulfed my ankles rising like a smathering of silk on my skin being both chilly and smooth. It encircled then retreated then charged back again while constantly eroding the sand beneath me sinking me further into place. It was as if the ocean was trying to plant me at its edge, seeking to encourage me to take root in its pale soil. 

A bird was startled overhead and in his hurry, he disturbed a general dust that had settled on the branches that had so recently ensnared him. As the dust caught the light, it looked as if you were witness to a sprinkling of fairy dust for it danced about and shimmered as if i'd been dipped in gold. It cast itself about, seeking a place of rest but found none until soon, it was lost by sight in the invisibility of the shadows. 

These aren't much, but they're just something that I do. I know they are probably to flowery to be used in most texts but that's part of the fun. I can be as flowery as I wish because they don't have a story yet. :D Anyway, I hope you have a wonderful week!

Yours truly,
Cordy

Have you any thoughts, dear reader? 
(I mean I know you do, what a silly question...)

Comments

  1. These are beautiful!! Like real legit descriptions. They totally sound like they came straight out of a book, and I'm totally jealous now because I'm pathetic at writing descriptions. (At least I think I am.) :P

    Anyway, this is a really cool exercise (it's like your Storming Prompts at The Sensible Pen)! I should try and do something like this myself because I'm sure if would be good practice for me. (If only there were not so many other things to do!)

    Great post, Cordy! Thanks so much for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miss March. :) Oh, you are being way too kind. Hahaha. (And you are not terrible at writing descriptions! What nonsense!)

      Yes, it's very close if not that very idea. (Never actually made that connection, how lame is that? Haha.) It's fun to just see what words work well with each other and such to paint the scene. So, if you're bored someplace and you have a notebook nearby...

      :D Thank you, friend. <3

      Delete
  2. I think this is a good technique, Cordy!! I use my personal experiences to do something similar. I use pictures for characters and scenery more, but pictures have helped me with plot occasionally.

    Beautiful little story!!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Catherine! I have a harder time finding pictures of my characters which I think is odd. Haha. Scenery however, has always been what's driven and sparked my imagination.

      Thanks again!

      Delete
  3. Cordy! This is beautiful! That is the best thing about coming up with snippets, you get to come up with a story to go around it!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment